Sign in to follow this  
Darren Lamb

the WINE thread

Yeah but fucking terrible Depanneur wine that's all ambiguous "RED WINE" with no listed varietals. The rumour is it comes in concentrate. 

I'm not saying I can't get cheap wine here, but I can't get GOOD cheap wine here. 

Beer however is a different story, but there's a different thread for that.

shoutout to $3 holler at CVS and Trader Joe's, great idea

lol never heard this. three buck chuck seems to be the phrase around here

if only our CVS's sold alcohol :(

at least, I don't think they do? 

i mean here you can buy beer and wine at pretty much any grocery or convenience store, i've just never been under the impression that cvs sold it. maybe I'm wrong i dunno!

and yes trader joes has lots and lots of wine and beer

also this past year a lot of places in GA passed a law to sell alcohol on sunday for limited hours which is awesome! 

but it can be hard to keep track of city and county boundaries. there's this one gas station where every time I go there and try to buy beer they're like sorry we don't sell alcohol after midnight or whatever and i'm like oops i forgot I was in unincorporated county territory let me go half a mile into atlanta where I can buy all the beer my heart desires at this other gas station

Isn't it an allergy to the phosphates that makes certain people get bad headaches from red wine? I've never had that problem but I have friends who feel mildly hung over if they have one glass and stop

woah, really? I had no idea that it's due to an allergy.. I drink wine all the time and if I stop drinking after one or two glasses, about half an hour later I get these awful headaches and feel nauseous.. fuck :>

once my friend told me that all hangover/headache feelings you get from wine are strictly due to phosphates in the wine, and that you can get phosphate free wine that doesn't have those effects. he's a super big hippie so idk if he's being totally accurate, but yeah.

once my friend told me that all hangover/headache feelings you get from wine are strictly due to phosphates in the wine, and that you can get phosphate free wine that doesn't have those effects. he's a super big hippie so idk if he's being totally accurate, but yeah.

p. sure it's just because it's alcohol....

p. sure it's just because it's alcohol....

http://www.wineintro.com/glossary/s/sulfites.html

If you feel you have a sensitivity to wine, and you have ruled out sulfites, it might be good for you to read up on -

Cogeners and wine - Cheap Wine Headaches

European Wines Cause Fewer Headaches?

Histamines and wine

Tannins and wine

Sulfates vs Sulfites

bolded one is funny cuz they don't, the article talks about how you're just doin it wrong if you think that. And it doesn't just apply to wine.

Most of the booze I consume is vodka and I never have issues unless I flat out drink too much.

Can get a headache, though from a single glass of wine or a couple beers, though.

I almost always drink in conjunction with eating. Last Thursday I didn't eat and I felt rough half the day Friday.

Yeah I think I remember Ira saying something about chasing vodka with food. Pretty good idea tbh.

yep for instance one of my friends posted this photo on fb:

4961_1109983423522_3883193_n.jpg?oh=e107

and the sweet girl who was our main liaison at the Russian institute where we were students commented this:

oh my god... where is the some food? vodka drinks only with some food!

Yeah I'm always annoyed when bars over here stop serving at least snacks late at night. Most decent bars seem to be getting into the late night snack thing or even a severely limited late night food menu (one place stops everything but the pizza oven for instance) but yeah in any bar in Russia at anytime you can get a buterbrod (bread, butter, cheese, and maybe a pickle or a salami or somethin) which is cheap and easy and I started making that as a drunk snack here too, it's great!

Cheaper blackouts, cheaper hangovers :shrug:

Not sayin they're inevitable but that's how it goes for most people I've known that aren't as sensible as I. I've only had like two blackouts ever and one was from forgetting to eat food that day.

The blackouts can be avoided by just drinking less.

I agree, there are big problems when you drink a lot or even the normal amount but don't eat.

I'm talking something sensible, like two beers and a shot. The beers have enough calories and the shot should make you feel happy.

Dunno. I used to skip dinner every Friday night to stretch my budget.

The nice thing about drinking without food is that you can drink a lot less.

Great for when you are on a budget.

Yes!

If I eat, basically at all, I don't get drunk at all and then what's the point?