Sign in to follow this  
Darren Lamb

the WINE thread

traveling to France has changed my relationship with wine completely

I've not had one bad reaction to red wine here but I've mostly been ordering Bordeaux AOC because it's the cheapest stuff (cheaper than bottled water). now if only I can find it in the land of super expensive booze aka Toronto

How would you care to comment on this:

p. sure it's just because it's alcohol....

http://www.wineintro.com/glossary/s/sulfites.html

If you feel you have a sensitivity to wine, and you have ruled out sulfites, it might be good for you to read up on -

Cogeners and wine - Cheap Wine Headaches

European Wines Cause Fewer Headaches?

Histamines and wine

Tannins and wine

Sulfates vs Sulfites

http://www.wineintro.com/basics/health/headaches.html

Canadian wines always leave me with stuffed sinuses and headaches. so far the only red wines that haven't given me any trouble were made in either Rioja or Bordeaux

I've had some other red wines from France before but they were super cheap (by Canadian standards) and always gave me a bad time

Yeah I feel like the jacked up prices of imports compared to the pretty decent price of decent alcohol in Europe has a lot to do with it

Also all these ppl savin money by drinking on an empty stomach wouldn't be driven to such measures in countries where good shit cost less

But this is anecdotal I've never been religiously converting money when I go to another country but it at least seems like alcohol is cheaper proportionally

I actually haven't been drinking much at all recently, like in the past 3 months, which is probably a very good thing, since I'm pretty sure I was drunk almost every night from January - September.

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Man I should've bought some Sailor Jerry for Christmas (our cat is named Jerry so it's relevant) but I went with the Captain and then the Captain was on mega sale today so I bought two more bottles of that and now we still haven't had any of Jerry's rum. Poor guy I bet he's mega bummed :(

moose likes this

On 11/21/2015 at 10:06 PM, Darren Lamb said:

bought a 2014 malbec tonight, pretty good. i mainly bought it because i had exactly 11 dollars in my pocket and didn't feel like a red blend (only things i saw that were cheaper at this particular store)

wine rules

hadn't bought a bottle since this one, and when i went to the store i got another 2014 malbec ::2

gotta start branching out! summer is wine and reading on the porch season :) 

ocean likes this

I've been drinking a lot of Argentine malbec's lately.  

I tried to branch out and got a bottle of pinot noir the other week but I mainly just wanted to go back to malbec's after that. 

ocean likes this

don't drink a lot of wine on my own, though i prefer red. having a glass or two tonight because i'm making a pizza and had no beer haha

this one got left behind at a party here and I have no idea what it is but it is very very full bodied and robust and tasty but strong

edit: holy shit! i knew it either had to be deceptively loaded and shitty or something quite legit, the flavour is quite something! turns out it's a South African Cab Sav from 2008! well i'll be

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-27054-2008-plaisir-de-merle-cabernet-sauvignon-paarl-south-africa

Roger Sterling likes this

Guest Eat Shadows

Malbecs and Tempranillos are good. Some of the best wines grown in this hemisphere imo. 

On 4/18/2016 at 11:13 PM, Moon Man said:

I've been drinking a lot of Argentine malbec's lately.  

I tried to branch out and got a bottle of pinot noir the other week but I mainly just wanted to go back to malbec's after that. 

More like MerlNO imo

On April 27, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Roger Sterling said:

Been getting malbecs more. Maybe soon I'll work my way up to merlot, but rn I'm happy to have moved past only feeling safe buying cab sav

wtf doesn't make sense to say working your way up to merlot when malbec is clearly superior and less ubiquitous 

Guest Eat Shadows
1 hour ago, Roger Sterling said:

Isnt Merlot the hXc wine drinker's choice?

im a n00b

No. It is a complex thing but basically in the late 90s to mid-2000s it was the most ubiquitous grape in American wine and was being over produced at a low quality giving it a bad rep. Sideways had a profound impact on the wine market because of the main character's hate of merlot (which was the opinion of many wine snobs at the time). Sales dropped like crazy as it became the butt of every joke for intro wine snobs and they are just now recovering. In a way it was needed, because it weeded out some of the absolute shit that were getting by before on the pedestrian popularity of merlot. Most true wine snobs recognize that the grape can produce some great wines, particularly ones from other regions such as Tuscany. It is still extremely popular, but the people that consume the most merlot mostly only drink merlot. The "I have my one red wine and I don't care to branch out" crowd. I've never been a fan of it in general as they tend to be heavy and rich with less complexity than most wines, but have had a few excellent bottles. Zinfandel gets a similar rep because of all the soccer moms drinking pink zinfandel in the same time period, but I've consumed more of this shit than any other wine:

photo1.jpg

:drool: 

Guest Eat Shadows

funnily enough some equate the bargain brand popularity of merlot to it being easy to pronounce and their is probably some truth to that. :lol: