Sign in to follow this  
Darren Lamb

the WINE thread

1 hour ago, Eat Shadows said:

No. It is a complex thing but basically in the late 90s to mid-2000s it was the most ubiquitous grape in American wine and was being over produced at a low quality giving it a bad rep. Sideways had a profound impact on the wine market because of the main character's hate of merlot (which was the opinion of many wine snobs at the time). Sales dropped like crazy as it became the butt of every joke for intro wine snobs and they are just now recovering. In a way it was needed, because it weeded out some of the absolute shit that were getting by before on the pedestrian popularity of merlot. Most true wine snobs recognize that the grape can produce some great wines, particularly ones from other regions such as Tuscany. It is still extremely popular, but the people that consume the most merlot mostly only drink merlot. The "I have my one red wine and I don't care to branch out" crowd. I've never been a fan of it in general as they tend to be heavy and rich with less complexity than most wines, but have had a few excellent bottles. Zinfandel gets a similar rep because of all the soccer moms drinking pink zinfandel in the same time period, but I've consumed more of this shit than any other wine:

photo1.jpg

:drool: 

deserves a new page :W 

Chernobyl Two and Moon like this

Yes that was great background info, thanks.

i kinda enjoyed a robert mondavi merlot I had last week (deserved to be bargain bin maybe? I paid $11 :W)  but in general it's the heaviness with less complexity that turns me off. 

Is there a wine advocate or a ratewine? There should be. I think this is going to be the spring / summer of red wine for me.

alright next time i'm getting a merlot. i've had a couple of good ones, and had some good red blends with a majority of merlot, but i find myself mostly rotating between cabs/pinot noirs*/malbecs

* drinking a chilean one right now ::2 

I haven't really drank French wine since living in France in 2011 because of the price point of it in Canada... even for just the okay stuff that's like 2 euro in France it's like a good $16 in Canada, but since I've been in the Netherlands where it's more or less cheap as fuck I've been going hard on the Bordeauxs  and Burgundies.

:D 

On 1/13/2017 at 9:30 PM, Majd said:

I have some bottles of delicious Gewurtzraminer and Tokay Pinot Gris cooling down in the fridge. 

i drank a whole bottle of pinot gris on sunday, minus the 1/2 cup i cooked with :W  shit was 2015 on deep discount so i got another one too, savin it  

Majd likes this

I had a French Pinot Noir on Christmas and was surprised by how much I liked it. 

For whatever reason I tend to favor white wine in warmer weather so I'm drinking a New Zealand sauvignon blanc tonight. Really can't go wrong with these. 

ocean likes this

37 minutes ago, ocean said:

i think i've found i prefer dry wines almost always 

seriously

my uncle is a big wine guy and likes all kinds but tends to bust out the whites for christmas dinner, it was like drinking grape juice

big, bold reds that make your mouth dry out are where its at

1 hour ago, Bill said:

seriously

my uncle is a big wine guy and likes all kinds but tends to bust out the whites for christmas dinner, it was like drinking grape juice

big, bold reds that make your mouth dry out are where its at

i mean... there are dry whites and sweet reds, so i don't relate to this color preference actually, i was just trying to say whether i'm drinking red or white, i usually like it drier

like if i'm at a restaurant and trying to choose a wine sometimes i'll just like point to some of the cheaper ones and ask which is driest