shakes

the comics thread

kept forgetting to make this thread but i just read this and yeah, whoa

fell out of love with newspaper strips fast once i hit high school but i always viewed pearls as the closest thing to a calvin and hobbes successor as there could ever be, so its cool as shit to see their paths cross like this

i like those truth/life zone comics a lot but after a while i found myself scrolling through them on tumblr instead of actually reading them, idk. i love her illustration style though

those middle two illustrations rule. whats the deal there?

shameless semi-plug time:

i met the dude in charge of this kickass project last year and he gave me an assignment for the latest issue of their anthology. i wrote a four page comic using this kids character named uncle worm and its out now i think. still waiting on my copies in the mail though

I went to see him speak a couple years ago and he was doing a meet and greet at the end but I got shy :> I had a Jimmy Corrigan for him to sign and everything

he's an hero, pretty much revolutionized how I look at comics, art, literature, all of it

(e: Ware obv)

shameless semi-plug time:

i met the dude in charge of this kickass project last year and he gave me an assignment for the latest issue of their anthology. i wrote a four page comic using this kids character named uncle worm and its out now i think. still waiting on my copies in the mail though

haha, that's a really good concept, post pics when you get it

do you have anything of yours to post shakes?

good qustion

i did a journal comic for about 13 months that i enjoyed at the time but im terribly ashamed of now :w

then some other small attempts at comics i dont think are bad but certainly arent great. the uncle worm comic is dcent though, might post that eventually.

so basically no comics ive done that im currently ok enough with to post :D

except this, kinda. probably too small to read but it was a cover i did for the newspaper i interned with. wrote it and drew it all, including the masthead. p wristbreaking times tbh.

coverfixed.jpg

i still do illustration for them from time to time. did this cover a few weeks ago, about election confusion in dc. p fun

3-26_cover.jpg

ant man bee likes this

most of the stuff i do for them is small drawings for their creative writing pieces. the paper consists of mostly stuff written by the homeless folks who sell it to earn some money. the writing is usually super unrefined so it can be hard to illustrate but i enjoy picking a line or two and spinning something off of it.

this was one of the earliest, and easiest, ive done but i think it might be the best thing ive ever drawn tbph! was for a poem about a god/satan showdown. a lot of the writers are super religious and i feel kinda bad tackling their stuff as an atheist so i usually stay away from the god stuff, but this one was too good to turn down

satan.JPG

some other favorites:

5-20.jpg

for a poem about not being told what to do

10-22.jpg

for a story about a yoga program for homeless kids. another candidate for best thing ive ever drawn (and i drew it with a wicked hangover!)

12-3c.jpg

for a story about being frustrated with god. again, too good to pass up.

1-15b.jpg

for a poem about being in love. that may or may not be a portrait of myself at the time :w

12-3b.jpg

for a poem about meeting up with an old friend.

i like doing these cuz theyre black and white and i get total freedom to do w/e. i had a brief flirtation with using photography as a background but it kidna trailed off for some reason.

ant man bee likes this

I've been reading the Claremont 80s run on X-Men recently. There's a bunch of dopey stuff, as with most superhero comics, but generally it is really great. Curious where it all falls apart for him because I've read something more recent by him and it was just terrible.

re: chris ware

he seems like a genius and i love the aesthetic but im literally so confused whenever i take one look at his stuff. i have LINT (acme novelty library #20 i think) but i havent read it because it makes me feel dumb

recent graphic novels ive read are jillian & mariko tamakis This One Summer (which was adorable), currently reading Black Hole by charles burns, and i bought a bunch of stuff at TCAF like Photobooth: A Biography (which is a weird concept, its like a super illustrate non-fiction about photo booth history? it's pretty tho)

I don't really read marvel I mean I didn't start reading comics until my bf started suggesting/loaning me things that I might like, and i tend to like them, but he's a DC not a Marvel guy so there. I mean not just dc, indie stuff too. 

recent list I made somewhere else kinda loosely and I don't necessarily remember everything I've read over the years but it'll give some of an idea what I like (trippy stuff is the best)

1. Animal Man - Grant Morrison

2. Doom Patrol - Grant Morrison

3. Scott Pilgrim - Brian Lee O’Malley

4. Bone - Jeff Smith

5. Kingdom Come - Mark Waid, Alex Ross

6. The Starman Omnibus - James Robinson, Tony Harris, Wade von Grawbadger

7. Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality - Brian Azzarello

8. The Complete Soulwind - Scott Morse

9. Plastic Man: On the Lam! - Kyle Baker

10. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller

Also read various green lantern/green arrow/flash/impulse stuff cuz those are his favorites, and some of the justice league/justice society stuff as well. Currently kind of going back and forth between reading the black casebook anthology in preparation for morrison's batman rip, and reading jla: new world order

Morrison's Batman is so much fun. Big fan.

Read the first issue of The Wicked and The Divine which was p great. Going to following it monthly. Also reading Stray Bullets from the first issue and liking it, but maybe not as much as I had expected.