shakes

the comics thread

pokemonRevolution1.png

pokemonRevolution2.png

pokemonRevolution3.png

One hundred years ago today, the most audacious revolution in history took place in Russian. Vladimir Lenin and his Bolsheviks imagined a world completely remade, on the principles of justice, equality, and solidarity. They imagined a world where everyone works together for the common good, free from the class divisions that tore Russian apart, and continue to tear the world apart. The workers would no longer have to obey their bosses, women would no have to obey their husbands, and everyone would live in true freedom and equality. They imagined a state that was controlled by the common workers, not the powerful property owning elite.

Regardless of what happened next, and why, we can say that largely in the hundred years since, the dream itself has been destroyed. Today we are taught that we cannot imagine a new form of society, only make minor, superficial changes to what we have. But what is life without a dream? When we awake from a beautiful dream, to the harsh reality of the world, do we vow to never dream again?

Oh, and also, let's not put Stalin in charge next time.

:tear:

Just now, ant man bee said:

oh god yeah that one was a bit too much for me :lol:

so is almost all of Gyo from what I remember of it. I'm afraid to open it up again.

Gyo was gross, but for some reason pus just triggers my gag reflex more than anything

also i ended up in a comics store near me and they happened to have some Yuichi Yokoyama, so i snagged some, will be diving in soon.

Iceland is supposed to be very good, right? I'll probably use some holiday cash to pick that one up along with whatever Michael Deforge put out this year.

I've also had two books by Ito sitting on an amazon wishlist for maybe five years, so maybe I'll look into this collection since it seems nice and had a better cover than either of the other books.

4 minutes ago, dunderhead said:

Iceland is supposed to be very good, right? I'll probably use some holiday cash to pick that one up along with whatever Michael Deforge put out this year.

I've also had two books by Ito sitting on an amazon wishlist for maybe five years, so maybe I'll look into this collection since it seems nice and had a better cover than either of the other books.

If you haven't read Uzumaki, you definitely should

1 minute ago, ant man bee said:

for some reason, out of all the shit he's made, the way he reintroduces the snail stuff in Uzumaki is the thing that sticks with me the most

Spoiler

the guy crawling into the shell to eat the snail kid alive was one of the most nightmarish parts for me

ant man bee likes this

Walked into my local store today. I had no idea that marvel was putting out 3D covers again. It feels like the nineties  all over again. I don't understand why people still buy superhero books.

Anyway, picked up Now by Fantagraphics. It's a fun little anthology and I'm loving being introduced to all of these neat indie artists. I kinda wish there were more anthologies being put out regularly.

1 hour ago, I am a damn ass bunny said:

Architect Anita Kiiveri said: “While driving into the parking garage you dive into an underwater world continuing to the beach and jungle on the upper floors. The higher you go, there will be forests, valleys, mountains, space, and stars. Cancer and transplant patients are treated at the Magic ward. Depending on the floor and theme, lightning will reflect the water surface, stardust or the northern lights. Even in the elevators, you step into a fairytale.”