shakes

the comics thread

I'm not a huge comic nut. I love them but rarely have time. I'm about 2-3 months behind my favorite ongoing series but when I have a few hours here and there I'll read a handful of issues. Also never been much of a marvel or dc fan but I do enjoy the occasional superhero story.

TMNT - has been my favorite comic since I was a kid and will always be. The new series is surprisingly excellent. I struggled through the first story arc, too many unnecessary changes and questionable art style. After that it really took off. Get the shitty origin out of the way and it's golden. The art style still dips into shitty territory occasionally but I deal with it.

Saga - hands down the best comic going right now. I just hope Vaughn doesn't fuck it up by trying to stretch out the story longer than it should

The Manhattan Projects - while not the most well written comic out there the story is really fun and the artwork is fantastic

The Wake - my second favorite currently running series. I think it's only going to be 10 issues but it's been a fantastic ride. I love the artwork and the story sucked me right in

Has anyone read Fables? I'm playing the Wolf Among Us and I'm interested in checking it out. I had no idea it was such a long running series.

I have 20 issues of Mind MGMT on my computer, it looks interesting but I have really jumped into it yet.

Also really enjoy Chew. I just discovered RASL by Jeff Smith which has me excited since I loved Bone.

I'm not a huge comic nut. I love them but rarely have time. I'm about 2-3 months behind my favorite ongoing series but when I have a few hours here and there I'll read a handful of issues. Also never been much of a marvel or dc fan but I do enjoy the occasional superhero story.

TMNT - has been my favorite comic since I was a kid and will always be. The new series is surprisingly excellent. I struggled through the first story arc, too many unnecessary changes and questionable art style. After that it really took off. Get the shitty origin out of the way and it's golden. The art style still dips into shitty territory occasionally but I deal with it.

Saga - hands down the best comic going right now. I just hope Vaughn doesn't fuck it up by trying to stretch out the story longer than it should

The Manhattan Projects - while not the most well written comic out there the story is really fun and the artwork is fantastic

The Wake - my second favorite currently running series. I think it's only going to be 10 issues but it's been a fantastic ride. I love the artwork and the story sucked me right in

Has anyone read Fables? I'm playing the Wolf Among Us and I'm interested in checking it out. I had no idea it was such a long running series.

brian vaughn is pretty much one of my top 3 comic writers ever

fables is great. i kinda stopped reading the last few years. but yeah, it's long, but there's also many spin-offs about the various characters and what they were like in olden times 

pretty sure kathleen introduced me to Chris Ware, and for that i'll be forever grateful.

:D

I thought you might like him

i bought my own copy of jimmy corrigan and then got zinc and building stories after that. he's incredible..

i read a lot of transmetropolitan in high school and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. now it reads more like a manchild wrote it but it's still great. aside from achewood and kc green i really like ryan armand and john campbell (who lost his mind (sorta, i think he was onto something) and burned peoples books but then sent them out and i got one finally). i'm also really looking forward to more Forming by Jesse Moynihan.

oh hey dickpool i got that big book with all of the ME comics :lol: huge waste of money, but it felt great

Klee likes this

planetary is the best warren ellis comic but transmet is kinda hilarious, manchildishness and all

saga is probably my fave running comic (esp since the wake just finished) but in terms of marvel stuff both hawkeye and superior foes of spider-man are great

in general image comics are probably the best though... beyond saga they have a bunch of cool stuff like lazarus, east to west, sex criminals

So I watched a short on Cartoon Hangover this week called Manly (you should all check it out). It was quite incredible so I did a little research on who it was by, turns out it's one of the story board artists on Adventure Time. He's written a handful of comics/graphic novels over the last few years. I just got Forming Vol. 1 and if it's good I'll probably buy Forming Vol. 2. He did another book a few years ago, two issues called The Backwards Folding Mirror and then the conclusion in the form of a graphic novel called Follow Me. Have any of you read these? I'm trying to find Follow Me and it's proving to be difficult.

Good to know. Thanks. I'll just stick with Forming for now and hopefully find a digital copy somewhere.

Started Fables a few days ago. I'm 4 issues in and not really hooked yet. I'll give it a few more but if it doesn't grab me by issue 8 I'm not going to continue.

Finished RASL yesterday. It was a fantastic read, highly recommended.

pretty sure kathleen introduced me to Chris Ware, and for that i'll be forever grateful.

:D

I thought you might like him

i bought my own copy of jimmy corrigan and then got zinc and building stories after that. he's incredible.

agreed, I took a comics class freshman year of college and the teacher recommended Jimmy Corrigan to me when I asked her for suggestions for my final paper for the class. saw him speak at NYPL with Zadie Smith around when Buildling Stories and NW both came out and not to get all misty-eyed but it was v v v inspiring hearing what both of them had to say about creating and the purpose art serves in their lives. it's amazing what a complex storytelling language he's created for himself

Klee likes this

Finished The Wake finally. I loved it. Wish it had been a 20 issue book. They covered so much ground in the last two issues you could have done so much with that. But they had a story to tell and stuck to it. I applaud them for that.

I started Outcast last week from the creator of walking dead/invinsible. It's interesting, I'll stick around for a bit to see where it goes.

Just found two issues of a new Usagi Yojimbo story arc. Excited to read that.

Also finished Clive Barkers Next Testament. It kinda sucked and I blame that on Mark Millar. I hate his writing so much.

I don't really know because see it's my bf's favorite comic so he has like every issue ever in some firm or another so years ago I think I just started from the beginning and read QUITE a ways through but I can't remember anymore how far I got...

I'm in the process of moving books into my new apartment and saw Duncan The Wonder Dog sitting on my shelf. Has there been any word on the follow up to it? I know at one point there was talk of there being eight or nine more books to come, but I can't find a single thing about the second.

oh man, that book was insane. forgot all about it. not sure i ever finished it but i need to pick up my own copy eventually. havent heard anything about a sequel though.

im going to spx this weekend :rock:

john porcellino :rock:

james kochalka :rock:

lynda barry :rock:

other people :rock:

spending too much money :rock:

its a great show. it has all the good stuff about comics and non of the bullshit superhero/cosplay/whatever nonsense the bigger cons seem to attract. ive only been the last two years but its a highlight of the year for sure. its expanded big time even in the years ive been going. its now two full hotel ballrooms. not everythings up my alley of course but theres always tons of good shit.

i actually met kochalka at last years show. it was super weird for me cuz hes like...the comics guy to me. outside of music, probably my greatest creative influence. just seeing him walking around with no fanfare or anything (he wasnt a special guest but he was doing some signings at the top shelf table) was super weird. i talked to him for a while then walked around and eventually went to a panel and he was sitting a few seats away from me :w the great thing about spx is pretty much everyones approachable. even the first year i went, when chris ware and daniel clowes, two of the biggest possible names they could book, were the main guests, they were walking around and signing and shit. 

when i went last year i printed up a bunch of little books of my drawings and stuff to give out and that was cool but ive gotten super lazy since then and havent really made anything new so im hoping to restoke the fires a bit. my coworkers are always talking about their comic projects and shit and even though i really dislike their art, im jealous of that work ethic. ultimately id love to be able to get a table at something like spx in a few years but i need to stop being a lazy ass :w

im only going one day this year but my plan is a few hours of walking around and buying shit, then a 1 hour lynda barry q&a (really hoping to meet her too cuz she seems like the best kind of batshit insane) and maybe a john porcellino documentary screening/q&a.

Yeah it's an awesome environment for all those reasons!!

Speaking of top shelf, my bf used to review comics way back when and he says he was like the first person to give owly a good review so Andy runton has personally thanked him with drawings n stuff :wub: tbh I'm sure he has other cool stories but I have a horrible memory. He also can't [under]stand the hoopla people make about cosplay. I kinda get the appeal but not really that crazy about it either, spx > dragoncon anyway

i think im in love with your boyfriend tbh

owly :wub:

one of those comics i never think about cuz its pretty lightweight i guess? adorable though

top shelf was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for me getting into comics in the first place, cuz american elf and clumsy were two of the first comics i discovered that werent superhero bullshit. still love both books dearly. i met jeffrey brown very briefly last year. just long enough to thank him for clumsy, basically. its weird to recognize people in real life based on how they draw themselves :w

kochlaka has a new book debuting this weekend so ill def be picking that one up :parrot2:

bought so much stuff :spongebob:

probably gonna sift through and spam some of the highlights itt this week :flail:

also you can see me sitting next to kochalka somewhere in this picture ::2

10649980_10152478089232669_6257885249622

unfortunately lynda barrys talk got cut short for some unexplained reason (hotel people came in and said "everyone needs to leave the room" and wouldnt explain why :cray:) but man, shes the best. i feel like i could listen to her talk for hours. unfortunately i didnt get to talk to her personally but hearing her thoguhts on creativty and shit was awesome.

same. shes even more insane in person. spinning all these crazy jokes and anecdotes and the crowd was eating it up. shes one of those people id admire the heck out of even if i didnt find her work so visually appealing.

joe saccos great. i dont own any of his stuff but ive read all his big books. its pretty political but not slanted in any significant way. he pretty much just presents things as they are without really commentating. pyongyang is a good example of that

ok i was thinking of guy delisle so nevermind. :oops:

def recommend his stuff though. looks to be similar to saccos, at least thematically