shakes

the comics thread

just finished Palestine, took me a while to get through because of how heavy a lot of the stories are but I really enjoyed it. as a jew who's spent a decent amount of time over in that part of the world but only relatively recently has been able to parse out the actual issues of israeli politics (on the ground, as opposed to what american jews and right-wing israelis tend to be most vocal about) it was a pretty illuminating read. I know a lot of jews and israelis who would be furious with me for even reading a book like that, which kind of highlights the biggest problem with outsiders discussing middle eastern politics, but fortunately I've also befriended a decent amount of folks who veer more towards the left-wing side of things and have volunteered with palestinian rights organizations and have pointed me towards a lot of great resources and things like that. obvs there's no such thing as an unbiased account of the israeli/palestinian situation but accounts like this that actually humanize palestinians helps in piecing together my own understanding of the whole thing and reconciling wanting to be comfortable with my jewness but being incredibly uncomfortable with israeli politics and how inseparable most jews think the two are.

about to start Dash Shaw's New School, been following him on tumblr for a while but haven't read any of his books besides some of Bottomless Belly Button. hoping this one's a little bit easier to get through because I love his art but BBB was just a bit too much of a downer for me.

i havent read new school but i love dash. sometimes i feel like his ideas go way over even his own head but i love his willingness to try shit. he gives a good talk if you ever get the chance to see him.

have you read any of patrick kyle's stuff? his illustrations are insane. i like his writing but id buy his stuff even if i didnt. most of his stuff is self published or throiuh small publishers like koyama press so youd pretty much have to order it to read anything but yeah hes great. one of my favorite current dudes. http://www.patrickkyle.com/

also michael deforge. i think ive recommended him to you before but he puts stuff out at an obscene pace and has lots of stuff online fwiw

following the guy on tumblr makes me feel like shit cuz hell post about a zine he made of drawings while in bed with the flu or an entire comic written and drawn on a short flight or something

I've definitely seen this Patrick Kyle dude's work somewhere before but I wasn't following him, just fixed that though. kinda stinks how tough it can be to find some of these guys' books - I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on books these days but most stuff from Fantagraphics or whatever I can usually find through the library which is nice. definitely seen Michael DeForge's stuff around the web too but I don't think I've read any of his books.

yeah thats the problem. i think deforge had a book out on drawn and quarterly recently. might be able to get that one through a library. other than that youd pretty much have to buy his stuff online or at a show

id also recommend box brown and josh bayer but the same caveat applies unfortunately

have you read my friend dahmer? if not, definitely check that one out. its exactly what it sounds like it would be.

no but I ran into a kid I was friendly with in high school recently and he was telling me about it, it sounded interesting but I dunno if it's the sort of thing I'd really be into. that sort of thing is only so engaging to read about until it crosses that weird uncomfortable threshold into glorification, I dunno

nah it doesnt really glorify at all, but it does get into what was going on in dahmers life before/while he lost it. iirc the forward even explicitly states hes not trying to come up with excuses or defend the guy at all. id say its more about being an outsider watching this seemingly weird but alright guy go off the deep end than about dahmer himself. its obviously a fine line to walk but i think it was handled really well. 

i mean id say im one of those people too tbh but i think theres way more to MFD than serial killer fetishism

plus derfs art is super 70s crumb-like cartoony so it helps keep the story from being a real bummer to read, idk

Fantagraphics publishes some of his stuff, yeah? I seem to remember them pushing it pretty hard on tumblr a while ago. Speaking of, what's up with their publishing schedule? Seems like a ton of stuff has been significantly pushed back. The latest Love & Rockets: New Stories was supposed to be out by now, but it doesn't have a release date. Same thing with The Complete Eightball.

i think fantagraphics did his lincoln biography, which i havent read yet but really need to. i love his stuff. blammo is consistently amazing and his sporadic runs of journal comics are always a treat. i think hes working on a book on the dude who started mormonism or something. hes another guy whose work ethic makes me feel like shit. seems like hes putting stuff out like its nothing

i think their schedule still hasnt pickd back up after kim thompson died. idk all the specifics of what he did (beyond "editing") but i remember reading that they had to really shuffle a bunch of release dates around to make up for the loss. they even did a kickstarter thing to raise money so it seemed pretty dire. theyre obviously a great publisher so losing them would be a major blow.

id love to have the complete eightball but its probably gonna be a bit too pricey :\

Yeah, I always was under the impression that Kim Thompson's editing focus was mostly on European works, but I'm not well informed at all. Even so, I can't imagine how jarring it must be to have one of your key figures gone after so many years.

Bit disheartening from a consumers standpoint that their ability to function was impacted so deeply because the quality of work has always been so high.

you see the sunday strips collection they put out a little while ago? hnnnngggg

like as a diehard Peanuts fan who grew up obsessively collecting Peanuts memorabilia and books I feel like it's my duty to someday own a house with a lot of bookshelves with the nicest one exclusively for Peanuts collections from Fantagraphics

I suppose that comics do inspire some level of fanaticism. One of the podcasts I listen to, a host talked about how he buys every single Carl Barks reprint in spite of already owning most everything. In reading about the Little Nemo reprint that is scheduled for later this year, I saw a ton of people that already own multiple collections that were going to buy this one too.

Where does the money come from?

I suppose that comics do inspire some level of fanaticism. One of the podcasts I listen to, a host talked about how he buys every single Carl Barks reprint in spite of already owning most everything. In reading about the Little Nemo reprint that is scheduled for later this year, I saw a ton of people that already own multiple collections that were going to buy this one too.

Where does the money come from?

oh shit, I didn't know about that Little Nemo thing. my sister has one of the 2 foot high hardcover Little Nemo collections and it's amazing, I could stare at those strips for hours. oh well, I'm all for putting as much Winsor McCay in print as possible.

edit: ugh looking at the upcoming releases on Fantagraphics' website was such a mistake

went to a library in a nearby town today that I hadn't been to before, turns out they had a pretty amazing comics section. grabbed Bottomless Belly Button (thinking I'll give it another try after how much I liked New School), What I Did by Jason (never read any of his stuff but I've been meaning to forever), and Life with Mr. Dangerous by Paul Hornschemeier (never heard of him but the art looks solid).

Hornschemeier is great. I think he'll be up your alley.

My only complaint about Jason is that his books are quick to read. I've been standing in the library stacks, flipping through deciding if I want to check the book out, and done with it before I've made my decision. Guess that falls on me rather than him.

My only complaint about Jason is that his books are quick to read. I've been standing in the library stacks, flipping through deciding if I want to check the book out, and done with it before I've made my decision. Guess that falls on me rather than him.

yeah. i really dig his art though, just makes it hard t justify buying his stuff

but kochalka and porcellino are probably my two favorite cartoonists and i buy all their stuff so i dont really have any room to complain about quick reads.

So I've never heard of this Fantagraphics site and it's insanely awesome. I'm downloading Megahex right now, what's some other stuff that Fantagraphics publishes that I should check out? What has a 91 piece collage from them.

oh man, moomin is absolutely essential reading

i generally really dislike newspaper strips but everything about moomin is perfect. its pretty much up there with calvin and hobbes and nothing else for me

amazon has that book for $40 or so, probably impulse ordering that as soon as im drunk enough

I'm not as familiar with Moomin the strip as I should be tbh, I could look at Tove Jansson's artwork for days though

just found out that one of the libraries nearby has an older printing of the complete strip though so I went and grabbed that while I was returning some other stuff (couldn't get through Bottomless Belly Button, still) 

tore through most of Jason's What I Did the other day too, agreed with what dunderhead said about how quick his books are but he's definitely got a knack for storytelling

yeah the whole thing is just so fucking depressing, I don't know what it is but that book is just really hard for me to stomach. maybe someday when I'm gainfully employed and in a happy relationship I'll enjoy it??

also my friend just told me about this http://comicartsbrooklyn.com/ think I'm gonna go :boogie: