shakes

the comics thread

i love josh bayer but idk if hed be your scene. rad dude though.

seeing pettibon in person would be a trip i imagine. no clue what hed have for sale though

matt crabe draws incredible super fucked up sexual shit. i got a wicked sketch from him of a dude fucking some broccoli last year. if you want a cartoon character fucking anything or anything fucking a cartoon characte ror really anything fucking anything hes your man

patrick kyle and michael deforge, as mentioned

oily comics are usually good and always cheap as shit.

lots of cool second tier (ie, not fantagraphics and not a small press operation) publishers in there like koyama, alt comics, etc

hope this helps

i generally really dislike newspaper strips

That seems crazy to me. So many newspaper strips that are amazing. Grabbed the first two years of Prince Valiant out of the library yesterday and the art is next level.

If you're just talking recent stuff, yeah. Bad. Can't think of a single strip running now that I find enjoyable.

pearls before swine is the only current newspaper strip i like, and i dont even follow it regularly

not saying there havent been great ones, its just not a format i particularly enjoy :shrug:

the art rarely appeals to me (i really dislike visuals like prince valiant. i know its canon, and technically brilliant but it totally bores me) and the writing is way too limited by the demands of the format. the whole thing feels too sterile imo, unless its an obvious exception like c&h or peanuts. the moomin strips are written well enough that i can read one at a time, or an entire arc, or several arcs and its always brilliant. plus it has tons of personality. i dont get that from the overwhelming majority of newspaper strips

kinda the same reasons i dislike marvel/dc type stuff, since ive already crossed the heretical line itt. 

I can get on board for most of that. The newspaper format can be pretty limiting, especially if there's a need to reset the status quo each day. I guess that there's also the restrictions on what will get printed and what won't.

Same for Marvel/DC comics. Very little of it is interesting to me, but there are a few things that I read and creators that I'll follow. From the canon, I do enjoy the Lee/Kirby stuff and Claremont's X-Men from the 80s. But a lot of the major runs just aren't very good and that's the case even for books that fall outside of the mainstream DC/Marvel.

I started Megahex today. This is not what I was expecting. Sometimes it comes off as juvenile but other times it kind of seems very mature and hitting on some fucked up issues a lot of us have. I really like the artwork though.

comic arts brooklyn was really cool, pretty overwhelming with so many vendors selling awesome stuff. wish I had more time to browse and more money to spend, grabbed two issues of matt furie's boy's club and some tapes from a couple vendors that were selling them, plus some freebies. definitely gonna try to plan ahead better next year and have a better idea of whose stuff I want to buy.

What I Did by Jason (never read any of his stuff but I've been meaning to forever), and Life with Mr. Dangerous by Paul Hornschemeier (never heard of him but the art looks solid).

my bf loves jason and has everything, and he was just talking the other day about how I need to read hornscheimer if I haven't yet!

Hornschemeier is great. I think he'll be up your alley.

My only complaint about Jason is that his books are quick to read. I've been standing in the library stacks, flipping through deciding if I want to check the book out, and done with it before I've made my decision. Guess that falls on me rather than him.

haha yeah, but I think my bf just buys all of Jason's stuff as soon as it comes out without fail. Comics are just one of those things he collects and it predates all his other obsessions!

anyone here read How to Be Happy by Eleanor Davis? I picked it up from the library recently and loved it, it's a collection of short stories and strips that vary pretty widely in style/content but all sort of hover around similar ideas. I was at my sister's apartment recently and saw she had a copy of it too and was like "oh I read that book it's great" and it turns out she's friends with the artist :o

EleanorDavis-3.jpg

also got a few books by Jason and an anthology of Meat Cake by Dame Darcy, which I've never read but the art/stories look wacky enough to keep me occupied for a while. 

I just read the first 8 issues of Lumberjanes. It was wonderful. The art and writing were excellent. I can't wait for the next arc.

Any chance we'll get another Megahex collection in the future? I really hate reading a page at a time on vice.

I started reading Nausica and Valley of the Wind, beautiful artwork in there.

just read through a bunch of dinosaur comics for the first time since probably freshman year of school,I forgot how hilarious that comic is, damn

also finished marbles by ellen forney the other day - really good book, all about the artist's diagnosis with bipolar depression and the long process of finding balance in the following years

Picked up a few things in the last week or so.

Planet Racers Book One - Peter Laird & Jim Lawson (I've never seen one of these in a shop before so I snagged it, love Lawsons artwork)

TMNT Future Tense - this one collects a stroy arc from the TMNT archie series, again never seen one in person so I grabbed it and it's selling for quite a bit on amazon.

Very Casual - Michael DeForge (waiting for this in the mail...)

ODY-C - the wife picked this up and while I haven't read either of the issues she grabbed, I did flip through and look at the artwork. Some incredible shit in here.

Nimona - Noelle Stevenson - a lengthy webcomic I just discovered and can't wait to dive into. I love Lumberjanes and hope this comes close.

Also came to the realization that I'm 17 issues behind (includes two 4 part mini series) of TMNT. I had to remedy that today. I read almost 10 of them. I don't always like the artwork (Mateus Santolouco's rendition of the turtles irks me and I prefer Ross Campbell's out of the new artists) but the story is quite entertaining.

The AV Club's review of The Sculptor was pretty scathing. Only negative review that I've read, but it was enough to slightly temper my excitement because usually they're pretty in line with my own taste. I'd probably be more wary if Oliver Sava had written the review. Either way, not going to take it as gospel until I actually have the time to crack the book open, but we'll see.

In floppies, I read the first few issue of Bitch Planet which has me intrigued. I like the premise, though I don't know how sold I am on the idea of every second issue being a different artist doing backstory on a character. Planning to give it through the first arc, at least.

Really liking They're Not Like Us based on the first two issues. Almost fills the Nowhere Men sized whole in my heart. Fun concept and hoping that it doesn't get bogged down in exploring the side of the amoral superpowered people that others have.

Bummed that Supreme: Blue Rose is ending tomorrow. Really loved the art and the pacing. Ellis has been doing some of his best work recently, though I've never been his biggest stan. In fact, lots of what I'd read before this creative resurgence of his, I guess starting around when he took the reins on Moon Knight, I'd call pretty flat. Between this, Moon Knight, and Trees, I'm on his side and willing to put that old baggage behind me.

just started Susceptible by Genevieve Castree and wow is it good and also sad

SUSCEPTIBLEpg6.jpg

actually i think I read something scientific along the lines of how certain bad circumstances especially when young can cause genes to change that affect mental health for generations after, but that certain good circumstances can change them back but unfortunately I don't remember enough detail to search for the article :(