mortimer

doodle and scribble thread

14 minutes ago, ant man bee said:

I use faber-castell colored pencils for most of my stuff, but lately I've started filling in the larger areas with copic markers and then going over that with colored pencils. The copics are definitely nice, but it's hard to find the right paper for them. The darker colors kind of pool on the official copic brand of marker paper. 

I draw with a variety of pens, but it's mostly rotring, microns or a dip pen. I usually use a staedler pigment liner for text since they're more durable. Dip pens are great for getting really small details and varying the line weight. I started using those when I realized that's how Crumb and Jim Woodring get their stuff so detailed. Plus, my drawings get tinier with each year so these have been perfect for me. Scratchboard is about the finest you can get when it comes to drawing and dip pens get really close to that.

13104.jpg.bfbc16e73bc745fec42367faa269925b.jpg

71470.jpg.7dd0fb5e5aa6543a998adf8cf839f168.jpg

I should get back into finding new pens and pencils to doodle and scribble around with. It's been a while. Plus they are pretty fascinating to me. I'm a pretty exciting dude.

ocean likes this

they're a bit pricey but Rotring Rapidographs are really nice technical pens. And unlike microns you can refill them so they're actually cheaper in the long run. 

Dip pens are odd at first, but it eventually clicks. It's good because they're pretty inexpensive. you can get a nice holder for 10 bucks or less. A pack of nibs is around 13. Ink is fairly cheap for how long it will last. The whole process of using them is really nice. You actually have to burn the nib when you use a new one.

these are my go-to's for black inks: Deleter Black no. 4 (this is for when I want something really dark), Kuretake Sumi Ink (this one has a really velvety quality to it and lasts a long time), and Speedball India Ink Super Black (this can be found at any art store and is really reliable. It's easy to control. I actually use the Deleter ink much more than this nowadays)

@Ody since you've been getting into drawing more I suggest this book for a good way of learning perspective

the cover looks fucking embarrassing, but it's incredibly helpful

it does a great job of teaching you fairly quickly and doesn't get overly complicated. i use it when i need to remind myself how some of that shit works

https://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-Point-Perspective-Comics-Ground/dp/1581809549

Ody, Parrot, psycho and 1 other like this

def picking that up, thanks man!

i learned yesterday that i need to figure out how to color pencil after figuring out all the dimensions, too much grey residue :( 

On 4/28/2017 at 4:42 PM, Dusty Shakeser said:

step 1: ogle a naked lady

taking this step seriously, this is what i drew yesterday: nsfw i guess

Spoiler

59133ecff2e18_drewthis(BW).thumb.png.5f58099dd9c2512b3020b01426fc3784.png

59133f01dfcc4_drewthis.png.cf6bb1ed92a5e31c1572721258b15d4c.png

ant man bee likes this

On 5/8/2017 at 3:20 PM, ant man bee said:

this book is incredible, having so much fun going through and completing the excercises. this is the next step that I needed, and I didn't even know it!  

I mean, it's like, you might as well start call intme neo, because im the matrix king B) 

ant man bee likes this

12 minutes ago, seanlewis said:

coooooool, thanks for the heads up!!

saw some pen recommendations. One of my favourite things to sketch with is this watercolour brush but I use a few drops of ink and fill the rest with water. Great for layering shades of grey.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0210.JPG

whoa that looks great. I have to get that brush now. what's the name of it?

i'd also like to get some watercolor pencils sometime. ever use them?

Parrot likes this

I tried watercolour pencil crayons awhile back but haven't in years. I'm thoroughly terrible with watercolours so I think I probably got discouraged.  I've been goofing around with pencil crayons and it's been a lot of fun. Found out you need paper with very little tooth to make it look good with less effort.

The pen is by Sakura, should be in the same area as the brush pens but also could be near the watercolours. 

ant man bee likes this

i've been fooling around with adobe sketch with a stylus as i learn all these new techniques presented itt, makes working on dimensions etc much less tedious based on how easy it is to just hit "undo", seems like a good resource for web cartoon stuff, i've been thinking of creating a web comic series anyway, but all i'm working on is aimed at to getting back to a sketchpad  :thumbsup: 

so i've been drifting from my efforts last week to make body parts/shapes as detailed that my capacity would allow, i'm just going to start daring random characters and see what happens, gonna use triangles for mean characters, big ol' round circles for the loveable ones, and present the confinement of the human condition with boxes and squares, here are two two self portraits i drew this morning with adobe sketch:

IMG_0344.PNG.25f34ca5db9ef07f96480a1fc06e3c6c.PNGIMG_0345.thumb.PNG.a82e02f126f928d5559d9498fe33d4aa.PNG